Big Friendly Garden (BFG)
OUR COMMUNITY GARDEN
To support Sustainable Education and raise awareness for the need to care for our environment, the school and community have embarked on making the school ecologically friendly through the establishment of a whole school vegetable garden to be used by students from Kindergarten to Year 6.
School Community BFG – We invite all our school community members to help create a beautiful environment. All parents, grandparents and children are welcome to create a garden that will produce both food and enjoyment. Grow and harvest with your family food for the table. Feel free to bring a picnic afternoon tea and enjoy the company of other community members whilst getting grubby in the garden.
Through the BFG project:
- Students learn about plant/vegetable growth to develop a better understanding of challenges and successes of market gardening
- The need to collect and conserve water
- The need to protect plants from harsh conditions and pests
- The development of fundamental enterprise through the growth and sale of worm farms and excess vegetables to the canteen and community
- Involvement of the community to assist in the development of school – parent partnership
- Use produce for cooking and continue to learn about healthy food and eating
- The BFG is used as a stimulus and integrated in many learning areas throughout the school.